Hall of Flags

In 1976 the Vestry at its March meeting approved a request that our gothic Parish Hall be dressed with a permanent collection of Church and State flags. The theme reflects the religious and cultural heritage of the State of Delaware. Looking towards the parish hall door, on the left are six religious flags connected with the Episcopal Church and on the right are six cultural flags connected with the history of the State of Delaware. The “Hall of Flags” was dedicated during a 10AM service on July 4, 1976.

Episcopal Church

Red cross on a white field is the cross of St. George, showing our link to the Church of England; miniature crosses in the blue background symbolize the nine original American dioceses that met in 1789 and adopted the first constitution; outline of the miniature crosses is in the form of the cross of St. Andrew in tribute to the Scottish Church’s role in ordaining the first American bishop in 1784.

Dedicated to the Glory of God

Given by the Women of St. Peter’s

United States

Dedicated in memory of Malcolm P. Jarrell

Given by Mary W. Jarrell; Robert and Ellen Davidson

Episcopal Church in Delaware

Dedicated in memory of Caroline Elizabeth Cloak Peterson Speakman

Given by Mr. and Mrs. Walter W. Speakman

State of Delaware

Dedicated in memory of Frank Burrows

Given by Ruth Burrows; Naomi and Robert Dunning

Church of Scotland

White X-shaped cross, which represents the cross of the patron saint of Scotland, Saint Andrew, on a blue sky.

Displayed in recognition that the Church of Scotland ordained Samuel Seabury bishop for the American colonies during a time when the Church of England required clergy to swear allegience to the King. This helped the American church having the required three bishops needed to ordain a new bishop, so the Anglican Church in America could grow.

Dedicated in memory of Clinton D. Robertson

Given by Wife and Sister

Kent County

Dedicated in memory of Evelyn M. Webb

Given by Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Faries

Church of England

Red cross of St. George on white field.

Displayed in recognition that the Episcopal Church is descended from the Church of England.

Dedicated in memory of Guy M. (Sr.) and Rebecca R. Edmondson

Given by J. Lester Goldsborough

Sweden

Yellow or gold Nordic Cross (i.e. an asymmetrical horizontal cross, with the crossbar closer to the hoist than the fly, with the cross extending to the edge of the flag) on a blue field. The Nordic Cross design traditionally represents Christianity.

Displayed in recognition of the Swedes establishing a colony in northern Delaware in 1638, which was the first permanent European settlement.

Dedicated in thanksgiving for our many blessings

Given by Mr. and Mrs. Paul W. Buckley

Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts

Seal of the “Society for the Propogation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts” (founded in 1701) on a green field.

Displayed in recognition that this organization sent the first Anglican priest to minister in this area assigned to Dover. It’s possible services were held around Duck Creek as early as 1706.

Dedicated in memory of Nicola Jane Tatnall

Given by the Rev. Joseph Tatnall and Family

Netherlands

Horizontal tricolor of red, white, and blue stripes.

Displayed in recognition of the Dutch operating in Delaware in a joint venture with the Swedes beginning in 1633 to establish a commercial settlement. Later the agreement dissolved and the Dutch captured the Swedish settlements in 1655 and controlled them until 1664.

Dedicated in memory of Francis B. Gebhart

Given by Elizabeth Gebhart

St. Peter the Apostle

Symbols attributed to St. Peter of upside cross and keys of heaven pointing upward on a blue field (the color for apostles). Tradition says that Peter was crucified upside down as he didn’t feel worthy to die the same way as his Lord.

Displayed because our church is named after this Apostle.

Dedicated in memory of C. Fred Heinold and C. Fred Heinold, Jr.

Given by Mrs. C. Fred Heinold and Family

Great Britain

Displayed in recognition of the English capturing the Dutch settlements in 1664 by the Duke of York.

Dedicated in memory of Paul H. Boswell

Given by Paul H. Boswell, Jr. and Family

St. Peter's Episcopal Church

22 North Union Street
Smyrna, DE  19977

Contact

Phone: 302-653-9691

Email Office: [email protected]

Email Rector: [email protected]

Email Preschool: [email protected]